HOME        |         CONFERENCE AGENDA         |          SPEAKERS          |         DEAL OF THE YEAR        |        REGISTER           |       CONTACT US
 
ALLICENSE DEAL OF THE YEAR WINNERS ANNOUNCED

The Intellectual Property & Science business of Thomson Reuters is pleased to announce the winners for the Allicense 2016 Breakthrough Awards, honoring the leading deals of 2015 in Biopharmaceutical Licensing and in Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A). 
The awards—to be determined by public vote—were presented on Wednesday, June 8 on site at Allicense.

Bristol-Myers Squibb’s acquisition of Cardioxyl Pharmaceuticals took top honors in the Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A) category, and the partnership between Gilead Sciences and Galapagos won the award for top Biopharmaceutical Licensing Deal.


This year’s nominees included five contenders in each of the two categories, and were determined using Thomson Reuters Recap, a deal maker’s solution that offers rapid insight and reports for biopharmaceutical key business development and licensing decisions. Exclusive BioWorld links are provided below for additional information on each deal.

Buyer                     Seller                    Financials                                       Ownership       Subject                                  Stage             Therapeutic Area
$9483 M in cash and stock




$4000 M for 55% majority stake + $3000 M in put and call options for remaining 45%

$2100 M comprising $300M upfront and near-term milestones + $1900 M in development, regulatory, and sales milestones

$1030 M for 57.5% majority stake 



$485 M comprising $100M upfront + $385M in research, development, and regulatory milestones

Public




Private




Private





Public




Private




Acquisition of Synageva BioPharma for $8.4B in cash and stock

AstraZeneca to acquire Acerta Pharma



Bristol-Myers Squibb acquires Cardioxyl Pharmaceuticals



Acquisition of 56.3% majority stake in Foundation Medicine for $1.03B in equity

Acquisition of Quanticel for $100M in upfront and $385M in research, development, and regulatory milestones

Registration




Phase III




Phase II





Not Applicable



Discovery

Rare disease




Cancer and autoimmune



Cardiovascular





Cancer




Cancer



DEAL OF THE YEAR NOMINEES: MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
Please note the buyer and seller company names are linked - click through for background information on each of these innovative alliances exclusively provided for you from Thomson Retuers' products Recap and BioWorld.
DEAL OF THE YEAR NOMINEES: LICENSING
Please note the licensee and licensor company names are linked - click through for background information on each of these innovative alliances exclusively provided for you from Thomson Retuers' products Recap and BioWorld.
 Licensee         Licensor            Total Deal Size           Upfront + Equity     Subject                                              Stage                Therapeutic Area
                                                                                                          (M)
$2625 M





$2075 M






$1890 M





$1275 M



$845 M

$105.0





$725.0






CON





$250.0



$95.0


Vertex and CRISPR to use CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing technology to discover and develop new treatment for genetic diseases

Gilead Sciences to develop and commercialize Galapagos' filgotinib against rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory disease worldwide

Heptares and Pfizer to develop novel drugs targeting GPCR against therapeutic indications worldwide

IPH2201, an anti-NKG2A humanized IgG4 antibody in immuno-oncology

Adeno-associated viral (AAV) gene therapies for severe CNS disorders, with an option to license worldwide ex-U.S. rights

Discovery





Phase II






Discovery





Phase II



Phase I



Genetic disorders




Autoimmune/
Inflammatory






Diversified





Cancer



Neurology



BIOWORLD EXCLUSIVE: DEAL OF THE YEAR STORY LINKS
We are pleased to provide elite BioWorld content relevant to the Allicense Deal of the Year nominations.
Click the links below to read more: